Sunday, May 20, 2007

Safe Arrival in Takoma Park

Isn't it weird when things work out perfectly? It gives me a queasy feeling actually, like things just shouldn't be so simple, but I'll accept it and move on. Arrived in Washington, aka Takoma Park without a single ounce of hassle. Oh, except that I had to submit to a full search just before stepping onto the plane, due to a chocolate craving. These things will always get you into trouble. Apparently it's a new rule for all passengers flying to Washington, be weary! The gates are now cordoned off by an official who will check your id and boarding pass before you can enter the seating area. No biggy, but... if you leave your gate to buy some chocolate lets say... they will put a mysterious X on your boarding pass, and then just when you think you're safe, and you are halfway up the tubular hallway connecting to the plane you will embarrassingly be submitted to a thorough search of your belongings and such... Why they feel this is effective (when you've already cleared security), was unclear to me, and after taking off my shoes, undoing my belt, and twirling around a few times in the middle of the passage way, I asked if I should perform a tour jete for them. The humor was lost on the guards, and I was the last to board the plane. All this aside I arrived in a very warm (27 degrees) Washington , DC, jumped on the metro and found my place in Takoma. Staying in a large heritage home owned by a young family who rent out rooms to various individuals.. my impression is that there are about 5 other people staying here at the moment, but it's hard to say. I feel like I'm reliving my res experiences a bit (I knew I would be grateful one day!), although these people seem a little more adult and less partial to the late night hooliganism of res life. I know I'm in the right place when the first thing they say is: "We recycle here. And expect you to too."

No comments: