Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Time passing

Almost another week has passed since my last entry - where does time go? I just didn't feel like writing to be honest. I'd like to say that I was ridiculously busy and accomplishing all kinds of amazing feats for which you probably wouldn't know the difference, but hey, I'm better at being honest. So where did my time go? I have admittedly been making occasional use of studio space. One always complains that they don't have access to space when they need it, and then when it's there, the pressure is overwhelming, what am I to do with all this space?? (I speak of the ever intimidating empty studio). Twice, I tell you, twice I have endeavored to work on developing a solo. One I hope that will be somewhat near completion upon my departure. I'm not sure what it's about, nor why it's of interest to me, but I'm attempting to stick to the task of creating movement from impulse using the methodologies of the Dance Exchange, and not judging the result. There may be some severe editing before whatever showing I have, but I'm not there yet, so I'm trying to to let it bug me. I'm trying to stay away from ambition and stick to movement that speaks to me and remains distinctly human. This is perhaps much harder then it sounds. On the side I've been doing some admin tasks which I actually quite enjoy. In fact, it disturbs me how much I enjoy sitting at the computer accomplishing things that don't involve movement. I've mostly been researching and recruiting for teens. We need teens!! Any teens out there??? The Dance Exchange has an awesome institute for teens coming up the last week I'm here, but it's so hard to find them and get them to sign up! The things you don't think about when coming from the other direction. Another interesting aspect of simply being around the Dance Exchange is having had the chance to sit in on some meetings. No wonder everyone's so busy, they're in meetings all the time! But, how informative! It really makes me realize the importance of hashing out process with the incorporation of different perspectives. It also highlights the amount of work that goes into each and every little thing. It would seem obvious that every institute or workshop is the result of a great deal of planning, organization and brainstorming, but until you become part of that process it's hard to appreciate. The overall themes of the institutes, and how they're organized such that the participants are guranteed a full circle experience that makes sense and leaves them feeling fulfilled, is complicated but well worth while. I'm realizing that for me, and my experiences with the DE institutes (which is what brought me here in the first place), the organization around planning that goes into the week is one important aspect of what made my experiences in the DE institutes unique in comparison to other workshops I've attended. Ideally, you leave feeling like you've had an experience that reaches beyond making and exploring movement with new peeps in a workshop setting. In particular relating common warm-ups or movement exercises to conceptual ideas about the body, people, society, or relations. For example "passive/active" is a fairly well known warm-up exercise or idea that I've experienced in a variety of settings. (One partner is passive, while the other actively manipulates their partner's body to warm themselves up). But have I ever thought about how the information I'm gathering about my partners passive body or my partner moving my passive body, how I make choices around being passive or active. How I take care of myself in a passive or active role? How I meet resistence? How I deal with surprising responses? The body is a treasure chest of information, and this is only the beginning.

No comments: